Terms and Conditions
Website Terms and Conditions of Use
In addition, the following additional terms may apply to your use of the Site and are deemed incorporated into these terms:
We reserve the right to change these terms and conditions from time to time by changing them on the Site and by continuing to use the Site you accept these changes and agree to be bound by them. These terms and conditions were last updated on December 2012.
Information about us
The Site is operated by DC Thomson & Company Limited trading as [‘DC Thomson & Company Limited'] (we, us and our). We are a limited company registered in Scotland. Our registered company number is SC5830 and our registered office is at Courier Buildings, Albert Square, Dundee, DD1 9QJ. Our VAT registration number is GB 927 1672 12 .
Access to the Site
It is your responsibility to ensure your computer system meets all the necessary technical specifications to enable you to access and use the Site and that it is compatible with the Site. It is also your responsibility to ensure that all persons who access the Site through your internet connection are aware of these terms, and that they comply with them.
We cannot guarantee the uninterrupted or error-free operability of the Site. Access to the Site is permitted on a temporary basis and we reserve the right to withdraw, modify or suspend the service we provide on the Site without notice. We will not be liable to you or any third party for any unavailability, modification, suspension or withdrawal of the Site, or any features, parts or content of the Site at any time for any period.
This site is controlled and operated by us from the United Kingdom and is intended for United Kingdom residents and we make no representation that any material contained on this site is appropriate for any other jurisdiction.
What you are allowed to do
Aside from our advertisers who may display their advertisements in accordance with our terms and conditions, you may only use the Site for non-commercial use and only in accordance with these terms and conditions. You may retrieve and display content from the Site on a computer screen, print and copy individual pages and, subject to the next section, store such pages in electronic form. Additional terms may also apply to certain features, parts or content of the Site and, where they apply, will be displayed before you access the relevant features, parts or content.
What you are not allowed to do
Except to the extent expressly set out in these terms and conditions, you are not allowed to:
- store pages of the Site on a server or other storage device connected to a network or create an electronic database by (i) systematically downloading and storing all or any of the pages of the Site or (ii) by screen scraping, framing, caching, data extraction or programmatic access whether by robot, spider or otherwise or (iii) by printing pages of the Site in a systematic or regular manner so as to create a database in hard copy form;
- collect or harvest personally identifiable information from the Site;
- remove or change any legal notices or other content of the Site or attempt to circumvent security or interfere with the proper working of the Site or the servers on which it is hosted;
- use the Site to transmit, or procure the sending of, any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation (spam);
- use the Site to knowingly transmit any data, send or upload any material that contains viruses, trojan horses, worms, time-bombs, keystroke loggers, spyware, adware or any other harmful programs or similar computer code designed to adversely affect the operation of any computer software or hardware;
- attempt to gain unauthorised access to the Site, the server on which the Site is stored or any server, computer or database connected to our site or circumvent, disable or otherwise interfere with our security-related features;
- reproduce, copy, distribute, publicly display or re-sell any part of the Site in contravention of these terms and conditions;
- create links to the Site from any other website, without our prior written consent;
- modify, translate, reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the Site or parts of the Site or create derivative works from the Site;
- use the Site for any business, commercial or public purpose.
We reserve the right to withdraw any linking permission granted without notice. If you wish to make any use of material on our site other than that set out above, please address your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You must only use the Site and anything available from the Site for lawful purposes (complying with all applicable laws and regulations), in a responsible manner, and not in a way that might damage our name or reputation or that of any of our group companies and affiliates.
All rights granted to you under these terms and conditions will terminate immediately in the event that you are in breach of any of them and you must at, at our option, return or destroy any copies of the materials you have made in breach of these terms.
Intellectual property rights
We are the owner or licensee of all intellectual property rights in any content of the Site (including text, graphics, software, photographs and other images, videos, sound, trade marks and logos).
Except as expressly set out here, nothing in these terms and conditions gives you any rights in respect of any intellectual property owned by us or our licensors and you acknowledge that you do not acquire any ownership rights in the Site or its content.
You must not modify the paper or digital copies of any material you have printed off or downloaded in any way, and you must not use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences or any graphics separately from any accompanying text. In the event you print off, copy or store pages from the Site (only as permitted by these terms and conditions), you must ensure that any copyright, trade mark or other intellectual property right notices contained in the original content are reproduced.
Our status (and that of any identified contributors) as the authors of material on our site must always be acknowledged.
We may change the format and content of the Site from time to time. You agree that your use of the Site is on an 'as is' and 'as available' basis and at your sole risk.
Whilst we try to make sure that all information contained on the Site (other than any user-generated content) is correct, it is not intended to amount to authority or advice on which reliance should be placed. You should check with us or the relevant information source before acting on any such information.
We cannot and do not guarantee that any content of the Site will be free from viruses and/or other code that may have contaminating or destructive elements and cannot accept any liability for the same. It is your responsibility to implement appropriate IT security safeguards (including anti-virus and other security checks) to satisfy your particular requirements as to the safety and reliability of content.
Your personal information
User generated content
The Site may, from time to time, make chat rooms, message boards, news groups and/or other public forums or methods of uploading user generated content including our Noticeboards (collectively "Forums") available to its users.
We do not control the material submitted to Forums (collectively "Postings"). We do not screen, moderate or monitor any content either before or after it is posted or sent although we may use filtering tools from time to time to screen or suppress certain information or language. You acknowledge that all Postings express the views of their respective authors and not our views. Your content may be viewed by any user of the Site unless it is posted in a restricted members only area in which case only we and our members may view that content.
You should submit only content which belongs to you. You should never upload material that would violate the intellectual property or other rights of other people or organisations. Before posting or sending any content referring to or relating to any living person, you must obtain their explicit consent to be referred to on the Site and you warrant to us that you have done so prior to posting such material. If the living person is under 16 you must obtain the consent of their parent or guardian to this use.
By submitting your content or Postings, you give us and our group companies and our affiliated companies and third party service providers permission to use, copy, adapt, edit, translate, make available and transmit or otherwise communicate, display and publish such content (or any part of it) and to create any derivative works from it together with the ability to sub-licence the same whether we refer to your user name or not and to the extent permitted by law, you waive any moral rights you may have in your content (i.e. the right to be identified as author of or to object to derogatory treatment of such content). The grant of these rights to us is irrevocable, worldwide and royalty-free. This means that we can continue to publish, use and display that content even if you ask us to remove it or after your registration has ended. We can use all or part of your content in advertising and marketing materials for our products and we may edit the content as we wish. It is in our sole discretion whether or not we use your content. We can remove your content even if you have complied with our Community Guidelines and Acceptable Use Policy. If you do not agree to this, please do not submit any content to us. We may or may not use any user generated content provided to us.
Whilst we do not pre-screen Postings, we reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to delete any Posting submitted by you and/or to close any topic, at any time without notice to you.
Notification of License Agreement
This typeface is the property of DC Thomson & Co. Ltd and its use by you in covered under the terms of a license agreement. You have obtained this typeface sofware either directly from DC Thomson or together with software distributed by one of DC Thomson's licensees.
The software is a valuable asset of DC Thomson. Unless you have entered into a specific agreement granting you additional rights, your use of this software is limited to your workstation for your own publishing use. You may not copy or distribute this software.
If you have any question concerning your rights you should review the license agreement you received with the software or contact DC Thomson for a copy of the license agreement.
DC Thomson can be contacted at:
UK 01382 223 131
DC Thomson & Co Ltd is registered in Scotland for VAT. The VAT number is GB 927 1672 12.
External links and banners
The Site may, from time to time, include links to external sites and banner advertising. We have included links to these sites to provide you with access to information and services that you may find useful or interesting but we do not accept responsibility for their content nor for their compliance with any laws and regulations. We have no control over the content of these sites or for anything provided by them and do not guarantee that they will be continuously available. We accept no responsibility for these sites or any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them. The fact that we include links to such external sites does not imply any endorsement of or association with their operators.
Nothing in these terms and conditions shall limit or exclude our liability to you for death or personal injury caused by our negligence or for fraudulent misrepresentation or any other liability that may not, under English law, be limited or excluded.
Subject to this, in no event shall we be liable to you (whether caused by tort or by breach of contract or otherwise) for loss of anticipated savings, data, wasted time, indirect or consequential losses, or for any loss of profit, revenue, contracts, goodwill or other similar losses whether directly or indirectly incurred.
Any software is downloaded at your own risk.
Please submit any questions you have about these terms and conditions or any problems concerning the Site by email to email@example.com, by telephone on Freephone 0800 904 7260 (UK) or +44 1382 575 322 (Overseas) between the hours of 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday (UK Time) or write to us at: DC Thomson Shop, 2 Albert Square, Dundee, DD1 1DD.
Competition Terms & Conditions
These terms and conditions (“Terms”) are supplemental to and should be read in conjunction with any specific entry instructions or terms applying to the specific competition (“Competition Information”) and in the event of inconsistency these Terms shall prevail.
To enter a competition all entrants must comply with the entry requirements set out in the Competition Information and these Terms. The entrant acknowledges that failure to comply with the Competition Information or these Terms may result in his/her disqualification from the competition.
Unless expressly stated otherwise in the Competition Information these Terms apply to all competitions run (including, without limitation, in print, online, at events or on social media pages) by D.C Thomson & Co. Ltd (a company registered in Scotland with company no. 5830) whose registered address is 2 Albert Square, Dundee DD1 9QJ (“D.C. Thomson”) and/or any group companies wholly or partially owned by D.C Thomson.
D.C. Thomson reserves the right to amend and update these Terms at their sole discretion from time to time and such changes will become effective as soon as they are published on the relevant site/publication.
In these Terms “Editor” shall mean the editor(s), including online editor(s) of the newspapers and magazines published by D.C. Thomson and “Marketing Manager” shall mean the head of newspaper & magazine marketing for D.C. Thomson from time to time.
1. Employees and members of their immediate families (being spouses, parents, children and siblings) of:
(i) D. C. Thomson ; or
(ii); or any company or sponsor associated with a specific competition, are not eligible to enter the competitions.
2. Unless otherwise stated in the Competition Information, entry to all competitions is restricted to entrants who are residents of the United Kingdom and Ireland.
3. Anyone under the age of 18 must obtain parental consent before submitting their entry. Any betting, gambling or gaming competitions are restricted to over 18s only.
4. Further restrictions for certain competitions, regarding age and residence requirements may be specified in the Competition Information.
5. D. C. Thomson has the right at any time to require entrants to provide proof of identity as evidence of eligibility to participate. If an entrant fails to comply with a request for proof of identity, or provides false or misleading information, the Editor or Marketing Manager may at his/her discretion, disqualify the entrant from the competition, or, where appropriate allocate the prize to another eligible entrant. Such decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into about a decision regarding eligibility.
6. Unless otherwise stated, entrants may make as many entries to a competition as they wish; entries will only be accepted when an original entry form is used unless stated as a specific condition of the competition.
7. Competitions are free to enter and no purchase is necessary however standard charges of entry (including postage charges and standard telephone/SMS/text message network rates) may be incurred.
8. Entries must be submitted in accordance with the format specified in the Competition Information. Proof of making a phone call, sending an e-mail or posting is not proof of our receipt of your entry and D. C. Thomson accepts no responsibility for lost, delayed or damaged entries or entries that are not received for any reason. Where postal entries are permitted only those carrying correct postage will be accepted.
9. The closing date for entries will be specified in the Competition Information (and may be extended at the absolute discretion of D. C. Thomson) and winners will be notified within 28 days of the closing date (or such other date specified in the Competition Information). Any late entries will not be accepted but the participant may still incur any associated costs.
10. Incomplete or illegible entries will not be counted and will be discarded. D. C. Thomson has no responsibility to inform any entrant that their entry is incomplete or illegible or not valid for entry to a competition.
11. D. C. Thomson is not liable for any associated cost to entrants, winners or their parents or guardians of entering a competition or claiming a prize unless expressly specified in the Competition Information.
12. Entrants (including the winners) hereby assign all intellectual property rights and waive all moral rights in their entry to D. C. Thomson. Entries cannot be returned to entrants unless D. C. Thomson specifically agrees to do so. Where materials are returned to the participant, D. C. Thomson accepts no responsibility for the safe return of any material or its return in an undamaged condition or any liability for loss or damage to such material.
13. In entering the competition, you warrant that all information you submit is correct and not obscene or offensive or otherwise in breach of any third party rights and D. C. Thomson reserves the right to verify the eligibility of all entrants. D. C. Thomson reserves the right to disqualify any entrant from the competition if it believes (in its sole discretion) that such entrant has breached any of these terms or the specific terms applying to the competition.
14. Entrants (including winners) shall not do or say anything that could damage or harm the reputation of D. C. Thomson or its group companies, the promoter of the competition (if different), any products included within its publications or any D. C. Thomson publication or sites.
Judging and Draws
15. For competitions, entries will be judged by a panel of judges and an independent judge, unless subject to a public vote. For prize draws, the winner(s) will be selected at random by the Editor/Marketing Manager. In the event that a competition has generated insufficient correct entries, D. C. Thomson reserves the right to distribute the rest of the prizes to incorrect entries based on a draw. The judge/Editor/Marketing Manager’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
16. Unless expressed otherwise in the Competition Information, if, for any reason, D. C. Thomson is unable to contact a winner to inform them that they have won a competition, or if a winner does not contact D. C. Thomson within a reasonable period of D. C. Thomson sending notification to such winner to confirm acceptance of a prize, then D. C. Thomson serves the right (in its sole discretion) to select an alternative winner.
17. The prizes offered in competitions may be provided by a sponsor (or alternative promoter) rather than D. C. Thomson and in such circumstances D. C. Thomson does not accept any responsibility for the accuracy of any prize descriptions supplied by such third parties.
18. A third party providing the prize in a competition may impose terms and conditions upon the use or the acceptance of the prize. The winner shall be advised of these terms and conditions prior to their acceptance of the prize.
19. Prizes are subject to availability. No cash alternative is available. D. C. Thomson and/or, (if applicable) the competition sponsor reserve the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value than that advertised. The prizes are not transferrable.
20. Prize winners are responsible for paying all taxes, duties and any other levies on prize winnings.
21. D. C. Thomson may pass details of winners to a third party who is engaged to deliver prizes to winners on behalf of D. C. Thomson or (as the case may be) a sponsor or alternative promoter.
Publication of Winners’ Names
22. Names of winners and results of competitions may be published by D.C. Thomson in our relevant publications and/or on our relevant sites. To obtain the name(s) of the winner(s) of a specific competition, please send a stamped addressed envelope to:- The Scots Magazine Marketing, D. C. Thomson & Co., Ltd, 2 Albert Square, Dundee, DD1 9QJ, Scotland, UK after the relevant closing date. Please indicate on the envelope the name, publication and date of the specific competition. For phone/text entries please mark the envelope for the attention of the “Enterprise department”.
Publicity and Use of Personal Information
23. Entrants agree that (if they win) they will take part in such reasonable competition-related publicity as D. C. Thomson may require and accept that D. C. Thomson may publicise their entry, including photos or images submitted as part of their entry, names, likeness and statements in connection with/resulting from the competition in any and all media. Unless stated otherwise in the Competition Information, no Entrants or Winners shall be obliged to take part in any photo publicity. Entrants shall not enter into any correspondence or give interviews with any third party on any matters arising from the competition, without prior written permission of D. C. Thomson.
24. D. C. Thomson and/or third party promoters for the competition may use data supplied by entrants to process the competition, inform winning participants of their winning entry, distribute prizes and, where the relevant marketing permissions have been collected, to contact entrants in relation to other competitions it runs or to market products or services it believes may be of interest to them.
25. Entry into the competition shall constitute consent to the uses of data contained in these Terms.
27. Except in the case of death or personal injury caused by their negligence or fraud, D. C. Thomson shall not be liable to any entrant (and/or any guest or parent/guardian of an entrant, as applicable) for any loss or damage howsoever caused (whether in contract, tort (including, without limitation, negligence) statutory duty or otherwise) arising out of or in connection with a competition. If D. C. Thomson is liable to a participant for any reason (other than death or personal injury arising from D. C. Thomson’s negligence) such liability shall be limited to £50 in aggregate.
28. To the fullest extent permitted by law D. C. Thomson does not make any express or implied warranties, representations or endorsements whatsoever with regard to the competition prizes or any information, service or product provided in connection with a competition.
29. D. C. Thomson does not accept any responsibility for network, computer hardware or software failures of any kind, including (without limitation) those which may restrict or delay the sending or receipt of an entry.
30. Competitions and these Terms (including in respect of any non-contractual obligations) are governed by English law and any disputes arising in connection with a competition and/or these Terms (including in respect of any non-contractual obligations) will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England.
Promotion Terms & Conditions
Promotion Terms and Conditions for 3 for 2 on Calendars are as follows.
* Cheapest calendar free
**Offer does not apply to direct debit subscriptions
Last updated: August 2017 © DC Thomson & Company Limited 2017